Tuesday, August 21, 2012

cell phones


When I was in school, I didn't have a cell phone. Neither did I have one in my high school. I got one when I was in the last year of college. Too  late? That I wouldn't know. You see, there was no other way then. Now when I do have my cell phone, I can't really think of life without it. It seems to have become a sickeningly important part of my life. And when I look around today, I find that students as young as 10 are carrying cell phones to school. Which leads to the question - is that really necessary, or is it an extravagance? AS parents I strongly agreed that cell phones should not be used in school.

This is because cell phones causes distraction. Along with the many applications available on a cell phone, an important one is that of texting. There is no guarantee that a student will not text during class hours. Which, along with posing as a distraction, also affects their concentration on studies and thereby the overall learning process. Not only does the factor of distraction come into the picture in relation to students, but also in relation to teachers and the classroom in general. For example, when the phone starts ringing in class (or even if is on 'vibration mode'), the teacher might lose his/her link of teaching and that will prove to be a major disadvantage for the entire class. Not to mention that it is extremely disrespectful for the teacher who is conducting the class.

As parents we should aware what is going on in the fast growing technology. The teens especially  will make nuisance with cell phones by dealing with illegal activities. The cell phones could turn into potent device for some students. They might click snaps that are not right, or record videos that are questionable in nature or call the school and report a bomb threat as a prank or to cancel classes. They may also use the phone to draw out other illegal activities like drug deals, thefts and the like. So also, if the phone is used extensively, it could lead to an extravagant bill.

The most nerve-cracking is that our children tend to cheat in exams. Now it is a trend among students the way they misuse the technology. Students will probably text their friends  to look up for the answer. They usually photograph information of text book answers and use it to cheat in exams. These habits actually cultivate the teens to copy more in getting high marks in their exams.

Other than that, all the sophisticated cell phones are brought by the rich students. This will lead to many social problems like jealousy among the students that will lead to stilling. This will cause a lot of problems in school, and head ache for parents as  we are called by the authorities  to discuss  the problem. In my opinion that they most probably they brought cell phones  to keep in touch with strangers which they found exited to text message without our knowledge. We are able to Control children’s communications with friends, social engagements and who they are in contact with, when they are too young to understand all of the risks. All the reasons I stated clearly for my stand to against bringing cell phones to school.
WRITTEN BY,
FARZANA

No comments:

Post a Comment